The sewing of new clothing and the alteration and repair of existing clothing as well as the production of domestic textiles has been a part of a woman's daily life throughout recorded time. Sewing 'findings' such as pins, needles, thimbles and scissors comprise a significant part of the archaeological record of all cultures, turning up in graves, middens and inhabited sites. Of intrinsic value, they are part of inventories and wills, and often appear in artwork as a testament to the character of the woman they belong to. Combined, they form 'kits' which are contained in variously sized and shaped baskets and boxes.
Deluxe sewing kit provides a range of basic sewing tools as well and adds additional items you'll wonder how you ever lived without.
Deluxe kit includes:
- 1 pair hand forged scissors- 5.5"
- A wooden needle case for keeping your favourite needles safe
- A cube of beeswax to wax thread
- 4 pack of handmade brass hooks and eyes
- Bone bodkin for lacing
- Bone stiletto for opening eyelets. Also useful in lacework and embroidery
- 2 Bone thread winders to keep your threads neat and tidy
- 10 pack pins for general sewing
- Sm. Thimble ring
- Spool of unwaxed linen hand sewing thread
- 2" x 3.5" basket with lid to keep small items together
Perfectly sized to take along to reenactments and displays, all items are contained in a nicely hand woven 4' tall x 8" wide coil basket with a snug fitting lid. A smaller coil basket fits inside to organize the contents and keep the small items together.
SAVE! $80.50 if purchased separately, save over $10 by purchasing the kit!
Please note that due to the handcrafted nature of items in this kit, dimensions are approximate and will vary slightly from piece to piece. Items may vary from photograph depending on supplier.
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 23 November, 2012.