The sewing of new clothing and the alteration and repair of existing clothing as well as the production of domestic textiles has been a part of a woman's daily life throughout recorded time. Sewing 'findings' such as pins, needles, thimbles and scissors comprise a significant part of the archaeological record of all cultures, turning up in graves, middens and inhabited sites. Of intrinsic value, they are part of inventories and wills, and often appear in artwork as a testament to the character of the woman they belong to. Combined, they form 'kits' which are often contained in variously sized and shaped baskets and boxes.
Our sewing kit provides a range of basic sewing needs as well as a few extras you'll wonder how you ever lived without.
The basic kit includes:
- Snips for trimming threads
- A wooden needle case for keeping your favourite needles safe
- A cube of beeswax to wax thread
- Bone stiletto for opening eyelets. Also useful in lacework and embroidery
- 2 Wood Thread winders to keep your threads neat and tidy
- 4 pack pins for general sewing
- Sm. Thimble ring
- Spool of unwaxed linen hand sewing thread
Perfectly sized to take along to reenactments and displays, all items are contained in a hand woven 3' tall x 6" wide basket with a snug fitting lid.
SAVE! $41.50 if purchased separately, save over $5 by purchasing the kit.
Please note that due to the handcrafted nature of items in this kit, dimensions are approximate and will vary slightly from piece to piece. Items may vary from photograph depending on supplier.
This product was added to our catalog on Monday 09 July, 2012.